Tuesday, September 2, 2014

BF-2 Bazz Fuss Deluxe, commercial succes! :)

Just a short post showcasing my commercial succes :) This is the first box I actually sold! It's a Deluxe version of the Bazz Fuss with a toggle to switch between a 1n4148 diode and a low power yellow LED in the clipping part of the circuit. Turned out a low power yellow LEDs gives the best grit-to-rumble ratio. Compared to red, green, tiny red, tiny green, the mystery see-through one and several high power LEDs. The transistor is a BC550C, which I think is the best choice for this circuit, giving a nice edgy sound with just the right amount of compression and smear.

The BF-2 in all its butterfly glory with its manual and special box :)

Initially I built this box with the version 2 schematic (which is apparently optimized for MPSA darlingtons) and when I compared it to the original it turned out to be completely different (a lot less distortion and no synthy sounds), even though the components were the same. Ah, except for that one resistor that's 100k in version 1 and 10k in version 2.

I thought the amp-style jacks would be a good idea at the time, since it would be a lot easier to get all the grounding right, but it turns out the open style jacks work just fine and don't take up as much space inside the box.

The guts of the BF-2. Notice the toggle on the top right.
Looking at the guts shot now shows me how far I have come in the last couple of months. The boards look a lot cleaner now :) To facilitate more adventures, the toggle has sockets to change out the diodes for different types. Also, the transistor is socketed, but that's just to make it easier for me to test for the right transistor.

No comments:

Post a Comment